University study involving 400 children shows that even low VOC paint can cause allergies or asthma – that’s why Little Knights is 100% VOC-free
Traditionally, paints have contained high levels of chemicals called VOCS (volatile organic compounds). If you are familiar with the smell of a freshly painted room - this is caused by VOCs that evaporate as conventional paint dries. Some VOCs are known to cause dizziness and headaches, as well as skin and breathing complaints - others, such as formaldehyde and benzene, have even been classified as carcinogens. That’s why Little Knights nursery paint has been formulated 100% VOC-free, so it can be as safe as household paint gets.
The emergence of "low VOC paints"
As awareness of the danger of VOCs increased, manufacturers shifted emphasis towards "low VOC" water-based paints, heavily marketing as a healthier alternative because they emit fewer fumes than traditional oil- and solvent-based paints.
Study finds children suffering from asthma and allergies
But doubts have been cast on the true safety of low VOC paints after ground-breaking research from a team of scientists from Harvard University and Sweden’s Kalstad University, found that children who sleep in bedrooms containing fumes from water-based paints and solvents are two to four times more likely to suffer allergies or asthma. The study of 400 children aged from 1 to 5 years identified only one group of VOCs as being associated with the higher levels of asthma, stuffy noses and eczema. This group was the PGEs (propylene glycol and glycol ethers) which are widely used in water-based paint.
“Apparent risks of PGEs at such low concentrations at home raise concerns for the vulnerability of infants and young children,” the report said.
Little Knights paint is 100% VOC-free
Our paint is not low VOC, it is totally VOC-free so families have complete peace of mind about the welfare of their children. It is a water-based paint that is also free from carcinogens, petrochemicals and hazardous fumes of any kind.