How black mould affects your health

How black mould affects your health

October 19, 2017

Black mould is particularly dangerous and homeowners are best advised to take steps to prevent it building up in the first place.

Mould is a common household problem caused by poor ventilation, leaks and other forms of moisture build-up around the home.

Condensation and leaks

The condensation produced by steamy bathrooms and cooking in kitchens; the damp that comes about through leaky pipes or poorly insulated walls and even the moisture that gets onto surfaces from fish tanks and house plants can lead to mould.

Untreated, mould can spread and become a health hazard. It can cause allergies and respiratory problems, especially to the most vulnerable groups, such as young children, the elderly and those who suffer from ailments such as skin complaints or breathing problems.

NHS warning

The NHS warns that moulds produce allergens, irritants and, sometimes, toxic substances, and that inhaling or touching mould spores may cause an allergic reaction, such as sneezing, a runny nose, red eyes and skin rash. Moulds can also cause asthma attacks.

The most common types of mould are green and black mould, and it is black mould that can be notoriously dangerous. In particular one type of black mould known as ‘toxic black mould’ or ‘stachybotrys’ can be extremely nasty. 

This is because toxic black mould produces mycotoxins – tiny fungal spores that enter the human body through inhalation, ingestion and even through the eyes and can cause problems with the reproductive system, vision, skin, the circulatory and respiratory systems.

Cleaning mould away

Large patches of black mould should really be left to professional cleaners to deal with but smaller growths can be cleaned away using household products such as bleach, vinegar, ammonia, bleach and baking soda.

Whenever cleaning mould from your wall, make sure you wear a face mask and protective goggles to ensure you don’t take in any airborne spores.

Preventing mould from returning

If you have an on-going problem with damp, then this must be rectified to prevent mould from coming back. Again, professional advice may be required if the problem is severe.

It is also important to keep bathrooms and kitchens well-ventilated by opening windows and doors and letting the air flow through. If this isn’t possible, you may want to consider installing an electric extractor fan.

Using a specialist paint, such as those produced by Little Knights, makes it harder for black mould develop. Our paints contain a unique anti-bacterial additive that means black mould and mildew is inhibited – ensuring families can rest assured the problem of black mould will be significantly reduced in their household.

 Please contact Little Knights on 01604 781009 or email info@littleknights.co.uk if you would like to know more any of the issues raised above. 

Little Knights

Antibacterial, mould resistant and 100% VOC-free




Also in Latest Insights

Could your spring cleaning products be affecting your health?
Could your spring cleaning products be affecting your health?

May 14, 2018

This spring avoid cleaning products that contain dangerous chemicals. There are numerous websites that detail the dangerous chemicals that even today are included in household cleaning sprays and foams. Just last month, a report by Norwegian scientists found that regular exposure to cleaning products significantly affects lung function.

Read More

Little Knights anti-bacterial gloss paint now available in all colours
Little Knights anti-bacterial gloss paint now available in all colours

May 04, 2018

We are delighted to announce that our high-quality gloss paint is now available in all the colours across the Little Knights range.

Read More

Little Knights to exhibit at The Baby Show 2018
Little Knights to exhibit at The Baby Show 2018

April 17, 2018

We are delighted to be exhibiting at The Baby Show 2018. The three-day event takes place from Friday 18th until Sunday 20th May at the NEC in Birmingham.

Read More

Four beautiful odourless paint finishes

Matte

For a solid, flat and elegant finish that is easy to touch up when required, matte paint is ideal for creating a gentle, soothing finish.  It helps to conceal flaws too, making it a good choice for older walls with "character".

Eggshell

Has slightly more lustre than a matte finish, low-sheen rather than shiny.  This attractive finish resists stains better than matte paint, and is easier to maintain

Silk

Creates an attractive and highly durable high sheen finish, an ideal choice if you want to make a room look bigger.  While it is the easiest to clean (just wipe with a damp cloth) Silk paint’s light reflecting properties do make it more difficult to touch up because any difference in sheen will be apparent.  It will make imperfections in your walls more noticeable, so it is worth investing a bit of extra time on surface preparation to make your walls as smooth as possible.  

Gloss

To compliment the range, our easy-to-apply, low-VOC non-drip antibacterial gloss paint provides a hardwearing, wipe-clean finish for interior and exterior wood and metal.

 

Little Knights

Simply the safest part for you and your family