Most of us will have come across black or green mould in our home at some point. This is likely to be a fungus called mildew or something similar that is spread by airborne spores.
Mildew is usually found in damp, warm conditions where there is poor ventilation. That’s why it is not uncommon to find it hiding behind furniture that hasn’t been moved for a while, such as a chest of drawers or wardrobe. Older homes with thinner, less well insulated walls are particularly prone. It could also be a sign that there is a problem with the plumbing, maybe a small, undetected leak behind the brickwork.
While mildew is more than just unsightly, it is also a health risk, especially if you have allergies or asthma. According to the NHS, moulds produce allergens (substances that can cause an allergic reaction), irritants and, sometimes, toxic substances. Inhaling or touching mould spores may cause an allergic reaction, such as sneezing, a runny nose, red eyes and skin rash. Moulds can also cause asthma attacks. The NHS says they pose a particular risk to vulnerable groups, such as young children and babies, elderly people, and those with skin conditions and respiratory complaints.
If you have a patch of mould more than 10ft square then you are best to call a professional firm who will have the cleaning solutions and protective equipment needed to tackle such a large job. However, for smaller patches there are a number of household products you can use to clear away mould from your walls. Bleach and warm water, vinegar, ammonia, bleach and baking soda can all be used. Even with small jobs, make sure you wear a respirator, gloves and goggles to protect you from airborne particles that are shifted whilst cleaning.
There are a number of steps you can take to prevent the build-up of mildew. Obviously, if there is an on-going problem with damp, then this needs to be addressed. Wherever possible, look to improve ventilation and insulation. Ensure you open a window after a shower or bath to let the air flow through and wipe away excess water from the sides of sinks and baths. If necessary, look to get an electric extractor fan installed in your bathroom, especially if there are no windows in the room.
You should also use Little Knights’ paint range to stop the development of any mould. It contains a unique anti-bacterial additive that means mould and mildew find it harder to establish themselves. This means Little Knights can protect you and your family from a whole variety of bacteria, yeasts and moulds.
This spring avoid cleaning products that contain dangerous chemicals. There are numerous websites that detail the dangerous chemicals that even today are included in household cleaning sprays and foams. Just last month, a report by Norwegian scientists found that regular exposure to cleaning products significantly affects lung function.
For a solid, flat and elegant finish that is easy to touch up when required, matte paint is ideal for creating a gentle, soothing finish. It helps to conceal flaws too, making it a good choice for older walls with "character".
Has slightly more lustre than a matte finish, low-sheen rather than shiny. This attractive finish resists stains better than matte paint, and is easier to maintain
Creates an attractive and highly durable high sheen finish, an ideal choice if you want to make a room look bigger. While it is the easiest to clean (just wipe with a damp cloth) Silk paint’s light reflecting properties do make it more difficult to touch up because any difference in sheen will be apparent. It will make imperfections in your walls more noticeable, so it is worth investing a bit of extra time on surface preparation to make your walls as smooth as possible.
To compliment the range, our easy-to-apply, low-VOC non-drip antibacterial gloss paint provides a hardwearing, wipe-clean finish for interior and exterior wood and metal.